|In an effort to expand our outreach efforts, we plan and partner with local organizations in the community to help educate and promote the diverse student, faculty, and staff at SCF.|
Embracing Our Differences believes that everyone has the right to feel safe, to be empowered and to make a difference in our world. Our project promotes diversity education throughout the community and works to teach everyone the importance of being an "up-stander," not a "by-stander." Together, we can create a vibrant community that is safe and inclusive for all where differences are embraced and individuality is celebrated.
The centerpiece of Embracing Our Differences is an outdoor juried international art exhibit featuring 39 billboard size images (12.5 feet by 16 feet) created by local, national and international artists, writers and students. The display reflects the artists' interpretations of the theme "enriching lives through diversity."
This is the second year that State College of Florida has participated in the art exhibit. Three SCF quotes were selected as winners among the 1,972 entries. As "Honorable Mention" in the artwork category, Angela Perez, an SCF Student, was selected among 2,400 entries from 44 countries and 33 states.
Below are the three selected quotes and “Honorable Mention” artwork selection:
- “The Good Within: Look and try to find any evidence of good that hides within your opponent before taking an unnecessary defensive act” - SCF Student, Gleb Mishchenko
- “Diversity is like a kaleidoscope; beautiful no matter which way you view its parts” - SCF Student, Sara Graceffa
- “When we learn to honor each other’s holidays, we can celebrate together all year long!” - SCF Employee Kim Garvey
The Exhibit will be showcased at the following locations:
Sarasota’s Island Park (Downtown Sarasota) March 31 – June 2, 2013
Rossi Waterfront Park (Downtown Bradenton) March 31 – April 29, 2013
North Port High School (North Port, FL) May 1 – June 2, 2013
Below are the selected quotes from the 2012 Embracing Our Differences submission:
- “If you focus on only one color how could you see the rainbow?” – SCF Student, Devonte Petrie
- "It's when we begin to explore our differences that we find all the things we have in common." – SCF Employee Alicia K. Long
- "If I change my name, my clothes, my address, or my accent, would your opinion of me change?" – SCF Employee Lesa Dailey
SCF worked with Valencia College's Circles of Belonging diversity training team to train SCF's managers through the LEX Leadership in Excellence) program.
This in-depth interactive workshop examines how diversity of experience impacts our interpersonal communications and relationships. Through discovery and discussion, learn more about yourself and the people around you.
Participants leave the session with an increased understanding of and appreciation for similarities and differences.