SCF Board Report: June 17, 2014
Board Approves 2014-15 Budget
(Bradenton, Fla., June 17, 2014) — State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota (SCF) District Board of Trustees on June 17 approved a $47 million fiscal year 2014-15 operating budget, associated schedules and employment contracts at a meeting held at SCF Bradenton.
“The 2014-15 budget remains mostly unchanged in comparison to last year’s budget, which is a testament to SCF’s commitment to providing students with a quality education despite resource constraints,” said SCF President Dr. Carol F. Probstfeld.
For the fourth consecutive year, the budget includes no tuition increase for students. Florida residents in two-year associate-level programs will continue to pay $78.84. SCF's baccalaureate program students will see a decrease in fees. A full list of tuition and fees is available on the SCF website at scf.edu. Student tuition and fees support about 50 percent of SCF’s operating budget while the state’s contribution and other revenues fund the remainder of the budget.
The Florida Legislature also provided $8.7 million in Public Education Capital Outlay (PECO) funds, which are separate from the general operating budget, for the Library and Learning Center at SCF Bradenton. The $8.7 million, which is approximately half of the $17.68 million that the college requested, allows SCF to move forward with the planning and design of the new Library and Learning Center.
“The Library and Learning Center has been our No. 1 priority for several years, and we look forward to beginning the early stages of the project in anticipation of seeking the remaining balance in the next legislative session. The new facility will be designed to meet the needs of our 21st century students who embrace collaboration and creativity in their learning as they take courses on campus and online,” Probstfeld said.
SCF also received $374,477 in PECO funds for general maintenance, renovation and remodeling projects at SCF's three campuses.
The new budget is effective for SCF's fiscal year that starts July 1, 2014, and ends June 30, 2015.
The board also approved:
- a 2014-15 salary schedule;
- SCF to enter into a contract with Dell Computers for $76,358.62 for classroom computers in the new Academic Building at SCF Bradenton;
- the college's Capital Improvement Program for 2014-15 through 2019-20, listing the top three priorities as the SCF Bradenton Library and Learning Center, the SCF Venice Student Services Center, and SCF Bradenton Science Building/STEM Hub;
- two grant proposals, including the College Reach Out Program (CROP) application for $117,916 from the Florida Department of Education to prepare 300 low-income, educationally disadvantaged students in grades 6 -12 to pursue and successfully complete college and the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Postsecondary Programs federal grant application for $392,558 to strengthen SCF's career and technical education programs;
- the president’s annual goals;
- a revision to a board rule;
- consent agenda items;
- membership for SCF's Contractor Prequalification Review Committee; and
- SCF to enter into a contract with Nebraska Book Company as a vendor for the college’s bookstore services.
The next meeting of the SCF District Board of Trustees is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. Aug. 19 at SCF Lakewood Ranch.