Services to SCF Faculty and Staff
How you communicate your program or event to the public is as important as the message itself. The public affairs and marketing department serves as your central source of assistance and information for all communications purposes. We are here to supply you with the collateral that you need to best promote the College and your program.
Public affairs and marketing will handle the distribution of any College-related news or promotions that you need communicated to the media. Fill out the Creative Services and PR Request Form to request a news release.
Speaking to the Media
Public affairs and marketing is responsible for initiating, responding to and coordinating all communications related to College matters with the media. This includes reporter, editor, photographer and announcer requests from print, TV and radio broadcast and all other media. If you are contacted directly by the media on College matters:
- Refer the reporter to public affairs and marketing if the questions concern College policy, procedures, programs or operations.
- Refrain from making statements as a representative of SCF unless requested by public affairs and marketing.
- Clear with public affairs and marketing all requests to appear on a radio or TV station or as an identified subject of a printed news story.
Please contact Kathy Walker with any questions regarding media relations.
Use of SCF Logo
The SCF logo is a legally registered trademark that requires the official service mark (SM) to be affixed to the bold "SCF" in all uses and applications. Public affairs and marketing is responsible for the appearance and approved usage of the College logo. Advance written approval is required before each use of the logo. For more information or to request use of the logo, contact the marketing coordinator.
Publications and Advertisements
Public affairs and marketing is responsible for any promotion of College events, programs and special projects through the use of printed materials, advertising and promotional products. Fill out the Creative Services and PR Request Form to request the completion of any printed piece or ad. Contact the marketing coordinator with any questions that you have about this process.
Please go to our Print Ads page to view recent advertisements.
The use of photography is a compelling way to promote a program or event. Public affairs and marketing chooses from its collection of photographs as well as stock photography for its publications, promotions and Web communication. We can also use photos that you supply if they are high resolution and of suitable quality. If you take your own digital photos or use someone else's digital photos, these guidelines should be followed:
- You must have a model release signed and on file if you use a photo with a recognizable face. Request the SCF Model Release Form from the marketing coordinator.
- Give yourself photo credit. Example: Photo by John Doe.
Photos by someone else
- If you want to use a copyrighted image, you must obtain written permission for use from the copyright holder.
- If the photo is not copyrighted, but you know the identity of the photographer, give the photographer credit.
- Make sure a model release is on file with the copyright holder, the photographer if not copyrighted, or in your files. Request the SCF Model Release Form from the marketing coordinator.
Each program or department is responsible for ensuring that its pages on the SCF website are kept up to date. There should be an individual or individuals in each program or department who are assigned this responsibility. Please go to the SCF SCF Web Publishing Guidelines page for policies that govern the look and content of SCF's website. Please contact Debra Gingerich with any other questions about the website and its content.
Please see the Staff Listing for more information on the public affairs and marketing staff members and how we can help you market your program or project to the public.
College Rules & Policies, Procedures & Practices
Re: News Media Contact
"The office of public affairs & marketing is responsible for all media in promoting and marketing all College events, programs and special projects, and in issuing news and responding to inquiries about same."
Re: Advertising (off-campus)
"The use of advertising by any College department to promote events and/or programs must be approved by the office of the president or a College administrator designated by the president.
Advertising pertaining to College-wide and/or department special events or program will be designed by the department of public affairs & marketing and approved by the College president or a College administrator designated by the president." Board Rule 6HX14-1.09
Re: Advertising (on campus) from off-campus enterprises
"The president or a College administrator designated by the president may approve the distribution of selected materials which are determined by the president or the president's designated representative to be informative in nature and in the best interests of students and/or employees. The College shall not be used as an agency for the distribution of advertising materials from off-campus enterprises without the above approval." Board Rule 6HX14-1.10
Re: College Logo
"The SCF logo is a legally registered trademark that requires the official service mark (SM) to be affixed to the bold "SCF" in all uses and applications. The public affairs & marketing department is responsible for the appearance and approved usage of the College logo. Advance written approval from this office is required before the logo can be used.
Re: Guidelines for College publications
"All College publications in any format, including printed, recorded and electronic, such as brochures, catalogs and handbooks pertaining to College programs and events, shall be approved by the College president or an administrator designated by the president, prior to publication, duplication or broadcast." Board Rule 6HX14-1.19
- All publications and materials (other than those used solely for instruction and/or administrative offices) to be duplicated by SCF's central services department are required to be approved by the office of public affairs & marketing.
- All publications and materials (other than those used solely for instruction and/or administrative offices) to be printed and/or typeset by an outside vendor are required to be initiated with and approved by the office of public affairs & marketing.