Apply for Award
Below is the process that was used to select organizations for the MLK Day of Service grants for 2014. Information will soon be available for 2015.
MLK Day of Service awards vary up to $10,000. Funds are given to support the awarded service project. Applications are due by 4 p.m., November 13 and notification of acceptance will be mailed by December 3.
Types of Projects
Projects for the MLK Day of Service may include:
- Economic opportunity
- Support of veterans and military families
- Neighborhood project
- Clean energy or environment stewardship
- Disaster preparedness
- Public safety
Service Award Criteria
Project's Outcome: Provide narrative of project's goals and agenda, number of people who will be served and impacted by the project, and how the project positively impacts the Manatee County community.
Volunteerism: Involve enough volunteers to complete your project. Each volunteer must complete and submit a Volunteer Photo Release Information form.
Theme: Since service and volunteerism are planned as a tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King's vision of a collaborative community, values of non-violence, racial equality and social uplift, explain how the service project illustrates Dr. Martin Luther King's legacy.
Community Engagement: Ensure that others in the community volunteer to participate in your project so that your group or organization is not taking on too much alone.
Project Budget: Provide financial information about the proposed service project. This information should include a detailed budget.
For consideration, applicants must provide the following:
- physical project that is a clear public benefit to the community
- application with all project questions and appropriate documentation, completed one or before November 13, 4 p.m.
- signed letter of acknowledgment and support from any organization(s) receiving the service of the project (Letter of acknowledgment should be printed on the applicant's official letterhead and signed by a person within the organization with signing authority to make commitments on behalf of the organization)
- signed letter(s) of support from organizations participating in project (Letter of support should be printed on the applicant's official letterhead and signed by an authorized representative)
- name of project manager (including title and organization) that will administer the awarded project
- accurate, itemized budget
- copy of an IRS W-9 tax form