Apply for Award
Through funding from the Florida Legislature, SCF will provide 2016 MLK Day of Service grants to organizations in Manatee and Sarasota counties for service projects that will benefit Florida District 70. Up to $5,000 per project may be awarded.
Applications will be accepted from 9 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 27, through 4 p.m. Monday, Nov. 16. To learn how to apply for funding, community organizations must attend an information session at SCF Bradenton, 5840 26th St. W., building 5, room 124. RSVP by contacting Rodney Jones, program manager, at MLKservice@scf.edu or 941-752-5178. Sessions are scheduled for:
- 6-7:30 p.m., Monday, Oct. 26
- 6-7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 28
- 6-7:30 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 29
- 6-7:30 p.m., Monday, Nov. 2
Types of Projects
Projects for the MLK Day of Service should help transform the community and may include:
- Economic opportunity
- Support of veterans and military families
- Neighborhood project
- Clean energy or environment stewardship
- Disaster preparedness
- Public safety
Service Award Criteria
Project's Outcome: Provide narrative of project's goals and agenda, number of people who will be served and impacted by the project, and how the project will positively transform the area.
Volunteerism: Involve enough volunteers to complete your project. Each volunteer must complete and submit a Volunteer Photo Release Information form.
Theme: Since service and volunteerism are planned as a tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King's vision of a collaborative community, values of non-violence, racial equality and social uplift, explain how the service project illustrates Dr. Martin Luther King's legacy.
Community Engagement: Ensure that others in the community volunteer to participate in your project so that your group or organization is not taking on too much alone.
Project Budget: Provide financial information about the proposed service project. This information should include a detailed budget.
For consideration, applicants must provide the following:
- physical project that helps transform the community
- application with all project questions and appropriate documentation, completed one or before November 17, 4 p.m.
- signed letter of acknowledgment and support from any organization(s) receiving the service of the project (Letter of acknowledgment should be printed on the applicant's official letterhead and signed by a person within the organization with signing authority to make commitments on behalf of the organization)
- signed letter(s) of support from organizations participating in project (Letter of support should be printed on the applicant's official letterhead and signed by an authorized representative)
- name of project manager (including title and organization) that will administer the awarded project
- accurate, itemized budget
- copy of an IRS W-9 tax form