Team of Consultants
Meet our Small Business Development Center Team: Carolyn Griffin, Director, Art Mahoney
and Jim Martin, Certified Business Anaylysts.
| Carolyn Griffin is the director of the Small Business Development Center at State College of Florida,
located at SCF Venice. Carolyn has more than 13 years of experience as project manager
with a major accounting firm. Carolyn earned a bachelor's degree in accounting from
Alabama State University. She has owned her own small business and is currently a
managing member with a local hauling company.
- Certified Business Analyst
- B.A. in Accounting, Alabama State University
- 15 years with a major accounting firm
- Has owned multiple small businesses
- Currently manages a local hauling company
- Loves finance and financial management
- Is a devoted wife and mom
- Favorite saying: “Big, Hairy Deal.” (don’t ask what this means)
- Enjoys an occasional Dr. Pepper with friends
- Works hard for Girl Scouts
- On many boards and associations
- Likes to laugh; makes other people laugh
| Art Mahoney is affectionately known as ‘the old guy’ by Carolyn.
- 42-year career in for-profit business
- Owned all or part of eight businesses
- Main focus: Brand development, marketing, business strategy
Art has a strong interest in the area’s non-profit ventures and offers his time as:
- Chairman of the Board, iTN (Independent Transportation Network), a senior and visually-impaired
- Assistant to the executive director of SCOPE, Sarasota County Openly Plans for Excellence.
His effort is focused on developed and bring to fruition the Sarasota Institute for
- Marketing committee of Jewish Family and Children’s Service, a large, local social
service provider (non-Jewish and Jewish)
- Reads ONLY non-fiction
- Exercises every day
- Loves beer
- Loves his grandchildren
- Loves his wife
- Loves sports
- Is a very funny, quirky guy
| Jim Martin
- Senior executive with more than 35 years of operations and management experience.
- When not supporting the SBDC and SCF, works with underperforming companies to improve
and enhance their performance.
- Primary focus: finance, budgeting, operations, strategy and business development.
Jim is involved in a number of community activities:
- Current member and past secretary/treasurer of the Loveland Board of Directors.
- Member of the Trusted Advisors…a local peer group organization whose members work
with CEO’s and business owners to increase the effectiveness of their organizations.
- Loves his Saturday morning tee times with his golfing group and his Sunday afternoon
golf with his wife.
- Regularly reads mainly (not boring to him) business related books.
- Still can beat a few of his grandsons at basketball.
- Is an avid sports enthusiast with a special leaning toward the NY Giants, Oklahoma
Sooners and Syracuse University.
|Linda Baxter provides office support for SBDC.has had an extensive career in both corporate and
small business environments.
- Has managed a few small businesses
- Owned a (very) small business
- Main focus: juggling schedules, classes, clients and keeping everyone happy
Linda also ...
- Feels compelled to own the latest technology
- Volunteers for the FL State Park Service
- Loves zombies
- Enjoys jogging slowly
- Loves taking her well dressed cat out on the town
- Will spend her golden years in New Orleans