Title III, EAP 0440
Practice CPT Essay Exams
Before beginning, be sure to review the details of the essay exam. Then, set a timer or have a reliable person keep time for you.
Practice Essay Topics
1. Select a national holiday to celebrate a worthy event. Explain why you think such a holiday should be created. (Note - you may not use currently recognized holidays)
2. Select a twentieth century world, national, or local person who has had an important influence on one area, such as politics, science, sports, or the arts. Explain the positive or negative impact of the person and give examples to support your views.
3. Choose one invention or discovery that has significantly influenced modern society. Show either the positive and/or negative influence of this invention or discovery.
4. Describe a place you go to relax and explain why and how this place is relaxing.
5. Discuss an important lesson you have learned while in school (either high school or college) and how it has affected you. Give examples to support your ideas.
Before beginning these exams, make sure you have read the overview of the grammar exam as well as the relationship word essentials. If you find you are having difficulty with a particular skill, refer to the resources page.