Music General Policies
1. Instrument Loans: Instruments will be checked out to registered State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota
students and to those non-SCF persons or organizations having permission from the
ensemble conductor or major instructor. Instruments must be returned by the end of
each semester in which they are loaned. Instruments may be loaned in successive semesters
as available. Anyone checking out an instrument must sign a financial responsibility
form covering repair and/or replacement of instrument(s).
These forms are available in the music office.
2. Lockers: Lockers are available for assignment to students. There are enough lockers for all students who are entitled to locker space; unfortunately, there are not enough lockers of the large size for certain instruments. Please check the lockers for one that will fit your instrument and take that number to the secretary in the building. The secretary has a lock for your use. NO LOCKS OTHERS THAN THOSE FURNISHED BY THE DEPARTMENT WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE LOCKERS. Locks should be returned at the end of the spring semester.
3. Practice Rooms: Students of applied music, class piano, class voice and class guitar must practice regularly in each of these areas. The college has provided a limited number of rooms at no charge to the students. Students will arrange practice room hours with the music secretary during the second week of classes. Any changes needed after that time should be made on the sign-up sheet located on the door of the room. Students are expected to use these rooms as scheduled for practice assignments made by the instructors. A minimum of one hour practice time per day for each course is the usual expectation. Smoking, eating or drinking in the practice rooms, class piano lab and entire building are absolutely forbidden. No more than two performers and an accompanist may occupy a practice room. Doors will be kept closed and students will not use these rooms as a "locker" for their personal possessions, books and music.
4. Music Loans: Contact the individual ensemble director or area coordinator.
5. Ushers: Students are needed to take tickets and pass out programs at each concert. These students will be given free admission to our music concerts in Neel Auditorium. Usher assignments will be made at the beginning of each semester. It is your responsibility to find a replacement if you are not able to usher at your assigned concert. Music majors, music minors and all scholarship recipients are expected to usher at least once per academic year.
6. Music Office: Students should not ask to use the telephone in the Music Office as we have an abundance
of incoming calls. Only in extreme emergency situations should the office telephone
7. SCF Music Student Handbook: Click here